As the temperatures warm there are things to think about in regard to our plumbing systems.
In some cases, the harsh winter weather may have caused damage to our pipes or Hose Bibbs which may show up inside or outside our homes. Action in these cases is imperative. These issues need to be repaired as soon as possible by a licensed Plumbing Professional.
A visual inspection of all of our plumbing systems is also an important action to take this Spring.
Here are a few items to consider…
Actions to avoid or detect Possible Leaks:
- Check Faucets and Pipes in your Kitchen and Bathrooms for leaks.
- Check Outdoor Hose Bibbs or Yard Hydrants for drips.
- Check Toilet Tanks and Bowls for cracks or leaks.
- Check Dishwasher, Washing Machine, and Ice Maker Supply Hoses for bulges or leaks.
- Check Exposed pipes under sinks and in the Basement for signs of leaks.
- Check Toilets for hidden leaks by adding several drops of food coloring into the tank, then check the bowl for discoloration in approximately 30 minutes.
- Check for unseen leaks by documenting your meter reading before bed or leaving for the day, when no one will be using water. Check the reading again upon waking or arriving home. If the reading has changed you have a leak that needs to be located and repaired.
Actions to avoid other Potential Seasonal Water Hazards:
- Make sure gutters, downspouts, and yard drains are cleaned out, free of debris, and in good condition.
- Make sure your downspout drains are directed away and extend several feet from your foundation.
- If you have a sump pump, pour a few buckets of water into the sump pit to make sure the pump is operating properly. It should quickly evacuate the water and shut off with no problems.
This Spring, a little action could potentially save from you a great deal of damage and headaches. If you find issues and do not feel comfortable repairing them yourself, call My Guy Plumbing and Service Inc. we can help. Then, your action can be to simply to enjoy your favorite Spring time activities.